Unapologetically Grandma

My journey to learning to embrace growing older & all the changes that come with it.

♥Friends♥


Sunday, June 16, 2024

Growing Older #SundayFoodForThought #UnapologeticallyGrandma

 

First 3 Sundays in June menu

As mentioned, I have two of my grandkids (2 months & 5 years) 5 days a week while their mother (my daughter) works. In addition, all of us are off on Sundays, so we do a weekly family dinner.

There is only one day of the week that I am not super involved with my three younger children (all adults).

Life is super busy for all of us, but the memories of Sunday Dinners at Mom’s/Grandma’s is something I hope they remember long after I am gone.

Am I exhausted? Absolutely. But I can’t bear to leave this world without hoping to leave them with lasting memories of good times and good food.

The thoughts of how it will be when I am gone have hit hard in recent years. I’ll be 50 next month – I have more of my life behind me, rather than in front of me. None of us are perfect. But I want plenty of good memories for them.

Things were often tough when they were younger. I’m not trying to make up for anything, I just want them to know that no matter how grown they are, they are all still my babies.

Seeing my grandkids grow has been such a blessing – one that I’d like to continue doing and be able to, one day, watch their children grow (my great-grandchildren).

I love seeing the family portraits of 5 generations of women, 5 generations of men….siblings remaking pictures from their childhood as adults and with their children doing the same picture as well.

When all is said and done…I want it known that I loved my children and grandchildren fiercely, I want them to feel worthy of defending nay-sayers (you know there’s always someone who thinks they know it all) knowing they had a mom who loved them and was there for them, no matter how others may want them to vision and accept a different story. Most importantly I want them to know they were loved – unconditionally – without question.

Everyone tells you to enjoy your children while they are small. They tell you to enjoy the growing up, the phases, the dating – but no one tells you, or prepares you for them leaving.

They move out, they have their own families – in many cases, they need you less and you see them and hear from them less. I’ve been blessed to have my youngest two still be very much a part of my daily life.

We talk so much about enjoying the ride while they grow…we don’t discuss the heartbreak when we know we’ve done our job well and they move out and start the lives we prepared them to lead.

Just some Sunday Food for Thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment